The Story So Far

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Undead Sanya, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Corwyhn

Corwyhn Here To Help

How about now? :). I know I know "Don't make me turn this car around". heh heh.

2. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

I will turn this car around.... o_O

Blackthorne, Cejao, Virgel and 5 others like this.
  3. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Famous

That's if it stays in one piece long enough to turn around.

4. Undead Nicole

It probably won't. You know how I drive.

5. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Famous

You could always just say you'll put them in the car instead of saying you'll turn it around, that sounds a lot more terrifying.

6. Dunadain

Dunadain Famous

No worries. Cars flip all the time!

7. xGbHx

xGbHx Got Your Back

This needs an update

8. Shadowreflexion

Shadowreflexion Got Your Back

While looking at the trailers, I couldn't help but notice guns are holstered in sight. I wondered if whatever weapon you have equipped would be the weapon you see.

For some reason, I'm still hoping that some of the original characters will be playable as well. I know it's still early but Lily's time capsule is on my mind.

Other than that, I can't wait. The watchtower at that church looks like a proper watchtower that makes me want to spend time there. Taking on a Juggernaut with no ammo looks crazy good. Combining base upgrades allows for more customization.

Yes, I can say with absolute confidence that this will be pre ordered as soon as it's available.

Rooney, Geoff728, Cejao and 4 others like this.
  9. Geoff728

Geoff728 Got Your Back

I would like that option as well. I would also like to be able to grow a big man beard on my male characters. Something really cool about a post apocalypse zombie Man Beard... Lol

Cejao, Bob Crees, Rooney and 2 others like this.
  10. 23-down

23-down Got Your Back

And I thought this played in the Zombie Apocalypse and not Steven Kings "The stand"
    Evil crow.. :) But certainly a nice crow.

11. Cadeyrn

Cadeyrn Starting Off

Eh... after you've inadvertently fired an unsuppressed gun at Lvl 10 Breakdown out on Thunder Road (to the Wilkersons - always seems worse there. Much worse hence "Thunder Road" because there's an incessant drum of undead bouncing off your hood or gunfire if you're not in a car) and had to fight off the ensuing masses of undead, a flamethrower or mass-area denial weapon seems like a really useful tool. Just as a note, using the pipe bombs you were carrying from the prior session doesn't actually improve matters although it can give you a short respite. Hmm... thought. Insulated fireproof suits. Slow, clumsy, but impervious to fire. Would help make molotovs useful instead of just sitting in inventory and cluttering things up.

Better yet: molotiv bin up in the watchtower so you can fling them down on gathering undead. No, wait. Molotov catapult!!! Linkies: https://goo.gl/images/MmKY88 https://goo.gl/images/xJjEeg https://goo.gl/images/7A5Hhd

12. Maynard_G_Krebs

Maynard_G_Krebs Starting Off

I'm super excited for State of Decay 2. This series is the lead reason that I became an Xbox brand user after never having been one previously. Although it stings that we have to wait until Spring 2018 after multiple proclamations of SoD2 coming out in 2017; let's be clear, a finely cooked product is always best. What would help with the time it takes to cook this anticipated sequel is exactly the problem I have with this process, and specifically, Microsoft's more corporate take on the marketing campaign.

The way that new information is being released, in press waves, is anthitetical to the community relationship with SoD.

State of Decay is about systems. A multitude of complicated simulation systems that engage players on a constant basis. There's no overly fancy (and unnecessary) AAA sequences and cinematics that players are waiting for. We've seen the trailers: it looks like a much prettier version of what SoD fans expect. New audiences to SoD are likely not going to be balled over by the presentation when compared to AAA titles--the comment sections of gaming sites and streaming services paint that picture pretty opaquely. And that's okay, because SoD has never been a graphics buffet. It's a game about systems.

Systems that promote consistent stimulation, planning, meticulous crafting of a sandbox game world in between tense and careful action. We're a fan base that is interested in the detail work accompanied by a slow cook. Intricate design and development layers that create the whole. How those parts function, interweave, and are highlighted within the gameplay. Every morsel means something to us, and will similarly mean something to enthusiastic new fans.

Which is why Microsoft is blowing it with the marketing plan.

It's a community driven game. Give the community the consistent morsels of insights that will make us become the hype ambassadors that this sequel would greatly benefit from. We should be being empowered right now to share out the little nuggets to our circles and networks. Hyping each little bite, while the media outlets cover the larger summary press packages. As it is now, your SoD1 fanbase is receiving most of its information when the rest of the gaming community does, and frankly, that puts the ground swell strategy in a bottleneck, dependent on when Microsoft's cookie cutter approach to marketing software IPs allows for new info to be released.

That just isn't the SoD way. You're the company that put a pretty nerdy journal of activity on your homepage. You have forum admins with zombie avatars. Your last SoD1 update was, in part, an index of community-prioritized feedback patches.

Don't mistake me, I'm glad that Microsoft has skin in the game as it will ultimately make the sequel better, which is paramount to the success all of us fans have seen in SoD becoming a legitimate franchise title since we first fell in love with it. But somebody's gotta speak up and tell Microsoft that this isn't a Gears of War release. They can hire a gaggle of Phil Spencers that message themselves as the fun game bro next door, but Microsoft is never going to shake its corporate look.

Give us the morsels we want. Let us help to generate the crowd swell. We are your anticipation creation machine. Use us. Because we're not sharing the E3 trailer for months on end. We're not pointing others to the IGN preview videos or interviews that everyone else saw the same day we did. We're already in your retargeting lists. This is the kind of game that promotes the type of fanbase who would help you push prospective fans down the funnel.

Release the kraken.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  13. LiNanMian1984

LiNanMian1984 Here To Help

So... Much... Want...

14. Geoff728

Geoff728 Got Your Back

Well said... Corporations have the tendency to destroy the organic beauty of a good thing. Let's hope that the wonderful element of SOD that undead labs created doesn't get overshadowed by things money driven for corporate interest.

15. Felio

Felio Here To Help

Heh it still says 2017.

16. Undead Nicole

Fixed it :) Thanks!

17. Blackthorne

Blackthorne Here To Help

My current state of mind:

[​IMG]

:D

18. illdigurgrave

illdigurgrave Got Your Back

Good idea, turn the car around and go pick up Sanya. Seems jeff and MS forgot her in the rain.