Thought on forums going Read Only...

Discussion in 'Polls' started by zechs, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Yes, I use other social media outlets more frequently.

1 vote(s)
  2. No, this is hub for a community that was meant for us to reach others of the like and UL direct.

46 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zechs

zechs Here To Help

So, with the topics going on about it, it's a big deal. I only wanted a place to record the numbers for and against it.

Be honest for what you choose. For or against.
  2. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

From my previous comments here, then Yes I vote for keeping the Forums.

I am not against social media outlets, but like someone stated on another Thread, closing the Forums has scattered the Community to the Four Winds.

I have seen several people here, help strangers when their games would not work. I fear that sort of support will be lost.

I like to read comments and formulate a reasoned response. There is no way that I can do this on say Discord, as by the time I have spent what could be 10 minutes getting my thoughts together, the topic has moved on.

Nicole may well challenge my next statement - But I feel that 'Older Gamers' have been abandoned with the closure of these Forums.

Over the years the UL Team have thanked us here, for our continued support. Sorry but I cannot find any proof that 'Social Media' type sites are better than a single Forum. But saying that, I cannot see why all avenues of publication cannot be used. I will use the analogy of the 'Harry Potter' books. What if that company has released films and audio books, but nothing in a proper hard / paperback. Yes I do like a proper book to read.
    LiNanMian1984, rebel36, Cejao and 7 others like this.
  3. Alan Gunderson

Alan Gunderson Here To Help

Not going to get upset, just going to make a few points. (Moved my post from the other thread)

Now I'm confident that the staff that care about our game will do what's best. I'm not going to pretend that I have a doctorate in running communities.

The analogy that "nobody uses forums anymore" glosses over a key thing: People don't use casual social media and chat rooms as forums, they use it for their intended purpose, which is nothing that a forum can provide. The concept of a forum isn't an old fad, it's a solution for the need of having divided topics and the ability to read threads in the separate, individual channels they belong in. Forums are not some kind of outdated device from 2003. A forum is a concept that can be taken as it's literal definition, and at it's core is an idea that best serves it's goal: to provide open forum for a community.

Of course I'll support you wherever you go, but just know one thing.

Forums are not obselete, and when you are elbow deep in chat room where somebody is trying to report a bug and you can't concentrate on that among the plethora of messages that come after it on the same channel, you will see the need for a forum format.

Regardless of this forum's performance or not, social media is starting to resemble forums. Facebook made comments threads not too long ago, effectively making every post a forum board minus section division. All of these things are becoming more like forums the further into the future we get, and that is a fact. The core of your playerbase has always been on forums.

Getting valuable feedback for your product is not a popularity contest. Do what's best for the game. Do the thing that won't result in a convoluted mess.
  4. OldDogF14

OldDogF14 Here To Help

This. But they're not paying attention.
    LiNanMian1984, rebel36, Cejao and 5 others like this.
  5. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

Well there is always the chance that this Thread will be removed prior to 30th January?
    LiNanMian1984, Cejao and XzerothreeX like this.
  6. YojimBeau

YojimBeau Famous

7. Vers

Vers Here To Help

I miss your cat picture already.
  8. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

@YojimBeau - You need to start selling T Shirts with that logo:)
  9. YojimBeau

YojimBeau Famous

Me too, but a statement is all I can do.

Take it, use it, share it. We may not make a difference, but we made a noise.
    LiNanMian1984, rebel36, Cejao and 3 others like this.
  10. Vers

Vers Here To Help

I'm making this my discord profile picture
  11. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

I was thinking the same:)

Edit - Well once I have worked out how to do it
  12. xGbHx

xGbHx Here To Help

Has Nicole or anyone said any more? It's not them shutting down the forums, but if there has ever been one thing that they should say more about it's this. If they can't crowd control the forum people over the forum and just ghost us, then what are they going to do if people decide they don't like something in SOD 2? Ghost us then patch it, just ghost us, or just patch it.
  13. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

Nicole is having a well earned Weekend off, so nothing really. The New Communications Manager is supposed to start on Monday, so maybe she will give an input here, but I am not going to hold my breath on that one.
  14. Vers

Vers Here To Help

Probably a lot she's going to have to deal with on her first Monday for sure. I hope at some point in the future we do get a response though.
  15. Fabian907

Fabian907 Famous

They're gonna loose one thing - Communication

Like everyone else said, communicating with your consumers will help better result of any issues or include great feedback.

This may be weird but I had a dream where I was banned from the forums and currently my dreams come true
    (I once dreamed of getting an Xbox One on my birthday, it happened
    I dreamed that I would loose my dog, it happened.
    Playing ARK Survival evolved andgetting raided, that happened too)
    Now the forums will be gone. I think I may do something that triggers someone resulting in me being banned. I don't know, some dumb assumption.
    How much does it cost to hold a forum like this and why are they closing it when they can get so many more people.
  16. OldDogF14

OldDogF14 Here To Help

Because they can't conceive of or admit that they're wrong? Maybe. It's the tyranny of knowing with the passion of a zealot that they're right.

Call it a form of victory disease, if you like. At this point, neither facts nor contrary opinions matter to them. UL is locked into a groupthink on the subject, and an opinion which falls outside of their conclusion is just double-plus-ungood, and therefore thoughtcrime by definition.

The problem they don't want to admit to or even consider is that, even at the best of times, the signal-to-noise ratio in a chat room is high. Now, if you push everyone into a chat, the game is as successful as you hope, and you get as many newcomers to the franchise as you hope, the signal-to-noise ratio becomes overwhelming. Meaningful information transfer just gets drowned out and lost because, unfortunately, chat rooms don't come with squelch.

It's instructive as hell that the answer to "Where do you go to get information?" was "The forum you're closing," and that had no impact on UL at all. Double-plus-ungood thoughtcrime.

UL's whole stance on this can best be summed up by the company Earl worked for in the TV show Dinosaurs: "We are right! Why? Because we say so! Brought to you by the We Say So Corporation."
  17. Fabian907

Fabian907 Famous

I could've start saying, "If the forums goes, then the sales will too"
  18. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

I have just posted in another Thread -

'Well 11 messages in the last 5 hours within Discord - By 4 people???? - Okay I was just looking at the 'Off Topic' section.

Time of this post 11 members in the Forums - 114 Guests. Last 5 hours many more than 11 posts and that is for sure, by far more than 4 people.'

I would not say that 11 messages in Discord in 5 hours is a high count. Yes I know there will be spin about, when the Forums close - Discord will increase. Its just a shame that Discord will not allow Gifs, as I have lots of 'Tumble Weed' ones
  19. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

There are many forms of help that have been given here - SoD2 will be released and someone is going to ask - I cannot make the game work - Who is going to help people?
  20. Fabian907

Fabian907 Famous

*'Splosion in the background* "shouldn't have removed the forums"
    I swear if they got something hiding in their 'Shed O' Doom'
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.