Thought on forums going Read Only...

Discussion in 'Polls' started by zechs, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Yes, I use other social media outlets more frequently.

1 vote(s)
  2. No, this is hub for a community that was meant for us to reach others of the like and UL direct.

46 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vanilla

Vanilla Here To Help

First we lost the store, now we're losing the forums. Such a sad state of affairs.
    LiNanMian1984, rebel36, Cejao and 5 others like this.
  2. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

I have posted elsewhere on these Forums. When I finally joined Discord I saw two individuals talking about Discord being for Kids and that 'Older' people needed to keep up? This sort of set me off in a major Rant, both in Discord and here. Again I will take this opportunity to apologise for my general rant, however as I said to Nicole, I will not be party to a group / individual who accepts 'Discriminatory' remarks as just a 'Joke'.
    LiNanMian1984, rebel36, Cejao and 5 others like this.
  3. Righteous Ham

Righteous Ham Here To Help

Nor should you @Bob Crees that is not something I was aware you'd gone through. I'm sorry your first experience there was such a rude and jarring one.
    LiNanMian1984, rebel36, Cejao and 4 others like this.
  4. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

To be fair, I have not seen any more discriminatory comments. I am not sure if Nicole gave anyone the 'Heads Up'.
  5. MstrJedi Kyle

MstrJedi Kyle Here To Help

Discord is for whoever wants to use it and I will fucking fight anyone who says otherwise.
    LiNanMian1984, rebel36, Cejao and 6 others like this.
  6. Righteous Ham

Righteous Ham Here To Help

I'm very sure she did. One that that will not change is Nicole's dedication to keeping things copacetic. A task she has much practice at.
  7. Shady Allie

Shady Allie Got Your Back

8. Fabian907

Fabian907 Famous

Me too hermana... me too.
  9. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

Please don't get me wrong - If you like a chat room, then Discord is good. If you step over the line, then you should expect to be dealt with and not cuddled because ....

Edit - I will call anyone out who discriminates against anyone.
    LiNanMian1984, rebel36, Cejao and 2 others like this.
  10. Kid Kayole

Kid Kayole Here To Help

What's annoying me most about Discord at the moment is trying to make sense of conversations cos you're reading them in reverse
  11. DicheBach

DicheBach Got Your Back

I said it in another thread and I'll say it again:

Whoever made the decision to kill these boards is a fucking idiot.

That is not "disrespect." It is just the god damned truth. It is a stupid business decision, and it will not bring benefit to the publisher, the users, or the developer.
  12. chikawowwow

chikawowwow Here To Help

It benefits the publisher as they don't have to pay the money for the servers & software.

Isn't the new community manager starting today or something?
    Gotta wonder what's the point? - With respect.
  13. Fabian907

Fabian907 Famous

And the money from running the forums can go to their pay/checks - With Respect
  14. OldDogF14

OldDogF14 Here To Help

Pretty sure he was agreeing with you, Bob. ;)

Because somebody has to manage the three people currently using Discord? :eek:
  15. chikawowwow

chikawowwow Here To Help

Jim Sterling (The Jimquisition) said it best "they don't want to make money, they want to make ALL the money".
    The guy might be a bit too much sometimes but you can't take the accuracy away from him.
    LiNanMian1984, Bob Crees and Cejao like this.
  16. Fabian907

Fabian907 Famous

Was my time wasted? No.
    Am I happy with the decision of UL disabling chat on the forums? We all aren't happy.
    Will they reboot the forums? I fucking hope so...
    Find out on the next episode of Undead Dropped the Forum-Z
  17. OldDogF14

OldDogF14 Here To Help

Just as a point of reference, at bare-bones the forum costs $140 a month to keep up. Toss in all the bells and whistles, and you're still talking only $300-$350 or so. This isn't about the money, folks.
  18. Fabian907

Fabian907 Famous

If it is not the money, then is it about the YouTubers that consider social media a better thing than forums? Name one YouTuber that is from the SoD community who uses the forums? Call of Duty and Destiny only listened to their YouTube/Social Media fan base
    With UL it's now becoming different.
    And where are the damn monthly newsletters too?
  19. OldDogF14

OldDogF14 Here To Help

For the sake of argument, make two assumptions (well, a few more actually, but these are the important ones): first, that UL is using the "free" version of Discord, and second, that they're only paying the base $140 for the forum.

$0 < $140. Never mind that if the game is as successful as they hope, and they get as many new players as they hope, Discord is going to push them as hard as an IRS auditor to use their monetized service.

The money the forum costs is negligible, and they're going to have to pay something just to keep it "up" in an archived status. What we're looking at is UL buying into the sales pitch of "Oh, dearie, forums are so yesterday! All the cool kids are hanging out on chat. Don't you want to be cool, too?"

Forget that it's the "Ooo, shiny!" effect. UL is certainly hoping you will. The problem with "Ooo, shiny!" is that its unsustainable in the long term; as soon as something newer and shinier comes along, you get dropped like a bad habit.
  20. DicheBach

DicheBach Got Your Back

What numbers are we talking about here? Is running a XenForo bulletin board more or less expensive than a Discord server? Is the cost savings sufficient to compensate the potential risks to revenue from future sales?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.