ULWPC #14: Eye See You

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by TheMuse, Aug 3, 2017.

1. TheMuse

TheMuse Here To Help

Welcome to our fourteenth UL Writing Prompt Contest!

The rules:
    1. Must be an original writing, no plagiarizing.
    2. You have 2 weeks to write your story and submit it.
    3. You may edit and change your story up until given time is up.
    4. Must incorporate the prompt in some way, shape, or form.
    5. Comply with all pre-existing forum rules.
    6. Only give constructive feedback if the author has expressed their willingness to take it.
    7. Only one story per person
    8. All stories must be submitted below
    Hall Of Fame

Round 1, Free Write: "An Adventure" by Bob Crees
    Round 2, The Life Of Our Pilgrim Fathers: "The Man Who Lived Next Door" by Fear/"The New World" by TheMuse
    Round 3, Halloween/Horror: "Of Hell And Animals" by QuarantineRoad
    Round 4, In Transit: "Crossing Over" by QuarantineRoad
    Round 5, Memoir: "Wait, We Found What?" by DeadK9Handler
    Round 6, Patient Zero: "B3113" by Panic!atSkyfall/"A Cursed Trader" by Burning Phoenix
    Round 7, Spring: "Cheater" by TheMuse
    Round 8, Ha: "Three Curses And A Wish" by QuarantineRoad
    Round 9, Tales Of Tomorrow: "The End" by TheMuse
    Round 10, Today Is The Day: "Hidden Affairs" by QuarantineRoad/"The Gardens" by Panic!atSkyfall
    Round 11, Deep Blue: "Gladly" by Panic!atSkyfall
    Round 12, Highs And Lows: "Just Once More" by LadyoftheLake
    Round 13, Lucky Or Unlucky: "Thirteen Steps" by TheMuse

How it works:

You are given two weeks to write an original piece based on the prompt below, and once all the stories are entered and the time is up, the voting thread will open and the community will vote on their favorite piece.

The winner gets to pick the prompt for the next round.

The Prompt:

Eye See You

[​IMG]

For this contest, each story must feature eyes in some way, shape, or form!

Submitted by Round 13 winner TheMuse!
    Stories are due: August 17th

Cejao, QuarantineRoad and Bob Crees like this.
  2. TheMuse

TheMuse Here To Help

4 days left! Get those stories going! :)

QuarantineRoad, Bob Crees and Cejao like this.
  3. Cejao

Cejao Famous

Tick, tock...

TheMuse, QuarantineRoad and Bob Crees like this.
  4. Cejao

Cejao Famous

5. QuarantineRoad

QuarantineRoad Here To Help

She Looked at Me (Dive)
    by QuarantineRoad

Amber stardust,
    Exploding from dark pools,
    Marking entry,
    To the depths of all she is.

Like red clay,
    Carried by spring,
    Through forest,
    Under dusky twilight.

A solitary scar,
    Upon one of two earths,
    Of which I find myself,
    Spellbound.

Beneath a lake,
    Of still waters, clear,
    Reflecting the firelight,
    Inviting me to swim.

And afraid, I fall,
    From such great height,
    I'm thankful,
    She is there to catch me.

6. TheMuse

TheMuse Here To Help

Inspired by the study linked at the bottom of this story

The Window

"You can't be serious, Walter!" She said, sitting across from him on the couch, "Have you been looking through the tabloids again?"

"No, no, no." He said, handing her the wine glass and taking a seat across from her, "It was right there in bold print, top of the Telegraph!"

"Well there's your first problem..." She said, taking a sip from the glass, "So where is it then?"

"I didn't buy it! Just got a peek at the article, gave it a good read-through."

"Well then, maybe you don't remember the numbers right?"

"Anne, I will swear on anything, I read what I read. I wouldn't forget something like this now would I?"

"Well then, let's try it."

"Try what?"

"The experiment you dolt!"

"Absolutely not."

"Why not?"

"Why would I subject myself to that? And with you no less?"

"Well I suppose to find out if that article is rubbish or not?"

"I know it's not rubbish."

"And how do you know that?"

"... I just know it."

"Oh come off it, Walter. No one died or anything!"

"Just seems a bit odd is all..." Walter muttered.

There was a long silence between the two. Neither shared it out loud, but both were thinking of the longest time they had ever looked someone in the eye. Neither could remember any ill effects, certainly not ones like the article was claiming.

"The lighting is supposed to be a bit dim." Walter said at last, leaning over Anne and turning the lamp down a notch.

Anne's face was inches from his.

"About 3 meters back." He said, standing up and sitting himself down in a chair a little ways away from the couch.

"We're allowed to blink, of course, but our focus has to be on each other's eyes, nowhere else."

"Well that's more challenging for you than me." Anne chimed in. Walter rolled his eyes.

"Shall we set a timer?" He asked.

"Might as well." She said, setting a timer on her phone and draining the rest of her glass. Walter's sat unfinished on the coffee table.

"Okay," Walter said, "In 3, 2, 1..."

They both locked eyes.

He studied everything about hers. Her eyes were a light brown like honey, soft and sharp at the same time, and filled with depth.

Her study of his turned up a deep blue like the ocean, with currents that swirled underneath the surface, enveloping in a simultaneous warmth and chill.

Somewhere out of sight a clock ticked, unnoticed in their previous conversation. It ticked slowly, monotonously, each tick lengthening like the stride of runner approaching his maximum speed.

Was that a grin?

Walter rarely smiled, and certainly not like that.

She could not look, but yet, she saw it, plain as day though outside her immediate focus. It was more of a leer though, wasn't it? Not a happy sort of smile, but the kind a man gives you when he's had too much to drink and can't pick up your signals of discomfort.

Walter knew Anne's cheekbones were a little more pronounced, but were they always so sharp? The edges of them seemed as though they might cut him, should he get too close. The brows above the eyes seemed a little more severe as well, maybe angled differently?

He was taunting her, she knew it, making a face like that. Daring her to look away, to break the gaze. His eyes were larger than they were before, and his mouth was open wide, almost like it could swallow the whole earth, and yet she remained fixated on his gaze.

She can't have been that clumsy with her makeup. Her face looked so severely contoured that it might as well have been made out of glass. And with so rich a color? Why on earth would she go into public like that?

Was that a fly that had flown into his mouth? But, he hadn't reacted... nothing, just that blank expression, those open eyes, that open mouth.

His skin itched, no, more than itched, it almost felt as though something was sliding it's way through it, fine as a needle.

Something moved behind the other's eyes. It might have been the reflection. Their pupils seemed wider than before. How much of the eye did the pupil take up anyway? Certainly not the whole eye, nor the whole face.

This was not their living room.

It was not Walter.

It was not Anne.

The creature gorged upon everything within the vicinity, gobbling up everything with a million munching mouths, consuming all within it's reach, but still she stared.

The being sliced through everything it came into contact with, gouging the ground where it walked, splitting the wind into harsh slivers behind it, untouched within it's obsidian crystal, but still he stared.

Its eyes were the dark of the deepest depths.

Its eyes were the dark of a lightless night.

The loud blare of a timer ripped both free from vision and back to their respective souls.

Walter's gaze dropped firmly to the floor. Anne's was obscured by tears. She got up hurriedly, marching straight to the bathroom and slamming the door behind her. Walter drained the last of his glass of wine and poured himself another. In time both had calmed enough to complete their nightly ritual, locking the doors, closing the curtains, brushing their teeth, pulling the covers close to their bodies and turning over so they could face each other. Anne looked directly into Walter's eyes. Walter stared directly back.

"I love you." She said.

"And I, you." He finished.

"After 10 minutes, participants then filled in questionnaires about their experiences in the room, which revealed some rather intriguing effects. According to the British Psychological Society, those in the group that faced one another described higher levels of attenuated color intensity than controls, with noises seeming louder than they should. Time seemed to slow down and they felt spaced out. Additionally, almost 90% of them said their partner’s face appeared deformed, 75% saw monstrous beings and 15% even saw traits of a relative’s face emerge on their partner." http://www.iflscience.com/brain/you-can-alter-your-mind-staring-someones-eyes-10-minutes/

7. Panic!atSkyfall

Panic!atSkyfall Here To Help

I'll be up at the end of the day.

QuarantineRoad, Bob Crees and Cejao like this.
  8. Cejao

Cejao Famous

As usual, people waited until just after the deadline hit to post. ;)
    Officially, nobody won within the 2week period. :p

Bob Crees and QuarantineRoad like this.
  9. Panic!atSkyfall

Panic!atSkyfall Here To Help

Bittersweet By Panic!atSkyfall

"NOOOOOO!!!!!!"

She screamed in agony. Her sobs of grief could be heard throughout the entire floor at the hospital. People tried consoling her but to no avail. They had to pull the gauze away from her eyes because it was soaked with tears. It didn’t make a difference. Her world would now be forever dark. She yelled for everyone to leave and they did. She wanted to get up and run away but how could she, she couldn’t see anymore. She swung her legs to the side of the bed and and moved slowly to her feet. She grabbed onto her IV stand and pulled it with her so that the needle wouldn’t rip out of her arm. She moved slowly sliding her feet across the floor. Her foot touched a warm piece of floor. She went towards the warmth. Soon her foot ran into a wall. She ran her hands up and touched the window and leaned her head against it. She closed her eyes and imagined the rays on the sun coming down. She is usank to the floor and leaned against what she could tell by touch a floor to ceiling window. She hugged her knees and sobbed for what seemed like an eternity. She couldn’t tell what time it was anymore

Eventually someone came and helped her back into bed. They tried feeding her but she wasn’t hungry. She heard the whispers,

“Is there anyone we can call?”

“There's no one.”

She was alone. No parents. No kids. No boyfriend. Work had become her life. Now she couldn't even work.
    It felt like her life had been stripped from her.

They sent her home with caregivers. At first they were there all day taking shifts of 6 hrs. Some were consistent while others rotated out. After she got better at maneuvering around on her own they went down to just one shift for 8 hrs. 9:00-5:00. She admitted due to her bitterness some of the caregivers didn't return. She would snap and yell at them when they tried to help or if she got frustrated. She wasn't friendly with many of them. She had lost a lot of breakable dishwater and other things. When they tried to comfort her she would scream,

“You don't understand!”

A few even left. Up until this point all the caregivers had been female until one day…

“Hi my name is Peter.”

“Hello Peter.”

She could sense he had put out his hand but she wasn't in the mood this morning. She turned around and made her way back to the living room. She had gotten fairly mobile now that she had here cane. It also helped that she knew the layout of home pretty well. She had picked up yoga as a way to help focus herself. She heard him sit on the couch as she went back to stretching.

“So what do you want to do today?”

“I was thinking I'd have breakfast with a side of bitterness and then wallow in self pity for a while. Then maybe do nothing because I'm FUCKING BLIND and while they say you can do anything no matter what, being blind cuts out a lot of stuff. Lunch is a sandwich of sadness followed by swimming in a pool of my own tears.”

“Wow, want some cheese to go with that whine?”

She chuckled, but she shook it off.

“What would you like for breakfast?”

“Surprise me.”

His voice seemed older. Maybe in his 50’s. She continued to stretch as smells started to waft from the kitchen.

“Breakfast is ready.”

She rolled up her mat and placed it in “it’s” spot. By now everything had a place. The kitchen cupboards were organized a certain way. Furniture clothes, anything, everything had a place. She could tell if something was off. It needed to be that way otherwise she wouldn't know where anything was. She had to memorize where everything was. She didn't want to go to the cupboard and go for sugar and end up with salt in her coffee. She sat down and felt around for a fork and a knife but didn't feel any so she made her way to the drawer and got one.

“Sorry,” he apologized, “it's my first day.”

“Don't worry about it. It makes me more independent.”

She poured herself a cup of coffee which had been set up in the machine the previous day. They ate in silence.

“So how old are you?”

“26, you?”

“54. What’s your favorite col...or never mind. Favorite food?”

“Sushi.”

This went on for while. He didn't realize how many questions he had to avoid because they involved eyesight.

Unlike many of the other care takers Peter was actually involved. He read her books. He took her on walks. He helped her become more independent. The bitterness that had consumed her waned as Peter became almost like a father to her. He took her out to restaurants. He introduced her to his family. He went above and beyond than what he needed to do. He took her out to different activities and helped her meet people. One day he decided to ask some of the tougher questions he hadn't asked because they probably hurt.

“What did you do before the accident?”

She put down her fork and knife,

“I was an animator.”

“I’m so sorry.”

“I loved creating and coloring. Work was my everything. I don't know. Everyone would probably say oh you can still be an artist. I mean, I guess I could become an abstract artist but it wouldn't be the same. I loved what I did. Clean lines. Exact images. But now I can't see the colors. I couldn't create the lines I wanted to. I know it would never look the exact way I wanted it to. I feel like it wouldn’t be fully mine cause I couldn't pick the exact color I wanted. I would always need help.”

She stepped up from the table with tears in her eyes,

“I'm going to my room.”

He let her go for a little while before he went in. He put his arms around her and hugged her as she sobbed into his chest.

“Why does everything have to be taken from me?” She cried.

“But look at the things you've gained. You've gained strength from having to raise yourself when your parents died. It gave you passion to work hard. It made you independent. And without this accident, you would have never meet me. I can be your new family. I can be your eyes.”

“Thank you,”

Was all she could choke out. She cried for a while some happy tears, some sad. But she did realize she had a lot.

“One sec,"

he stood up and left the room. He handed her some papers.

“I was going to save these till your birthday next week but I feel like now is a good time. These are adoption papers. I know it seems silly since you're older but, will you be my daughter?”

"Yes."

Bob Crees, Cejao and QuarantineRoad like this.
  10. Cejao

Cejao Famous

[​IMG]

QuarantineRoad and Bob Crees like this.