ULWPC #18: Voting

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by TheMuse, Nov 29, 2017.

?

Which Story Was Your Favorite?

Poll closed Dec 3, 2017.
  1. "Spirit" by QuarantineRoad

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. "Thanks-Taking" by Panic!atSkyfall

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. "A Prayer" by TheMuse

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. TheMuse

TheMuse Here To Help

Thank you everyone who participated! Our theme this time was entirely uninspired and thought up at the last second. Oh, also, it was Thanksgiving. Despite setting a really low bar, I think we got some interesting stories from you guys, and now we get to vote on them! I'll post the stories and links below so anyone can re-read before they vote. Voting will be open for 4 days total. The winner of Round 18 will get to pick the theme for Round 19! Thank you everyone who wrote, and a future thank you to all who will vote!

"Spirit"
    by QuarantineRoad

"Thanks-Taking"
    by Panic!atSkyfall

"A Prayer"
    by TheMuse​
    Hall Of Fame

Round 1, Free Write: "An Adventure" by Bob Crees
    Round 2, The Life Of Our Pilgrim Fathers: "The Man Who Lived Next Door" by Fear/"The New World" by TheMuse
    Round 3, Halloween/Horror: "Of Hell And Animals" by QuarantineRoad
    Round 4, In Transit: "Crossing Over" by QuarantineRoad
    Round 5, Memoir: "Wait, We Found What?" by DeadK9Handler
    Round 6, Patient Zero: "B3113" by Panic!atSkyfall/"A Cursed Trader" by Burning Phoenix
    Round 7, Spring: "Cheater" by TheMuse
    Round 8, Ha: "Three Curses And A Wish" by QuarantineRoad
    Round 9, Tales Of Tomorrow: "The End" by TheMuse
    Round 10, Today Is The Day: "Hidden Affairs" by QuarantineRoad/"The Gardens" by Panic!atSkyfall
    Round 11, Deep Blue: "Gladly" by Panic!atSkyfall
    Round 12, Highs And Lows: "Just Once More" by LadyoftheLake
    Round 13, Lucky Or Unlucky: "Thirteen Steps" by TheMuse
    Round 14, Eye See You: "The Window" by TheMuse
    Round 15, Moonlight: "Destruction and Creation" by Panic!atSkyfall
    Round 16, Soulmates: "In Moments Alone" by TheMuse
    Round 17, Unfamiliar: "Everything" by TheMuse

psst, also, I'm thankful for all of you, you guys rock!

2. TheMuse

TheMuse Here To Help

So in addition to this voting thread we're gonna have a little discussion as well! :)

What ideas do you guys have regarding the format of these contests? We've done them this way for a while, and I love it, but I also want to keep things fresh and exciting and was wondering if anyone had ideas regarding that.

One of my ideas was about how we approach prompts. I think in general we go with more of a theme and run with that, but there is also the option to have more of a prompt, which is more specific than a theme and maybe can draw minds in a different direction than the usual. Example that I shamelessly stole from reddit: In your society, every child is given a fixed number of skill points for their parents to invest in talents that would determine their futures. When you reach age 21, you find out your parents forgot to do it for you. Having a more specific prompt like this can definitely allow the writers more of a direction to take the story in, and maybe allow others to jump in more easily, though it potentially also makes it more difficult to differentiate from each other's stories.

Also like reddit, we could have prompts inspired images or even songs. Again, it is narrowing the focus down a little bit, but could potentially take us in some interesting directions.

Lastly, I've been wondering about the two week time period. We tend to go a little late on submissions, and I personally tend not to write until pretty much the last day, which I feel might be able to be said of the others as well. I'm very hesitantly wondering if we wanna chop the submission time down a little and see if it stays more present in people's minds that way? So we don't go "ah it's in two weeks, I'll get to it later".

Let's get talking about stuff!

@Cejao @Bob Crees @QuarantineRoad @Panic!atSkyfall

QuarantineRoad, Bob Crees and Cejao like this.
  3. Cejao

Cejao Famous

I think extending the voting to 1 week would be good. 2 weeks to submit, 1 week to vote. :)

TheMuse, QuarantineRoad and Bob Crees like this.
  4. QuarantineRoad

QuarantineRoad Here To Help

I agree with Cejao on the vote, and for me, I'm alright with 2 weeks. We have the option to enter early, or late, depending on what's going on in our real lives. That's part of what's kept me participating. If things were much faster, I likely wouldn't enter as often since I'm typically a slow writer, anyway, and whatever creative energy I have is usually getting burned up in my designs.

Regarding the prompts: I like the themes, but if you want to try something a little different, that's fine with me. Such as the images/songs sound cool. I just wouldn't want anything too limiting, unless it's more of a game (which is cool, too). My problem is rarely coming up with a story, but the actual writing of it, no matter how much I want to. Less in procrastination, but apparently due to lack of reading and self-criticism overload.

And, if you want to try something different, like the REDDIT thing or a new idea, you could always spin it off or separate it from ULWPC without changing the core competition.

Bob Crees, TheMuse and Cejao like this.
  5. Panic!atSkyfall

Panic!atSkyfall Here To Help

I agree with the aforementioned notices. 2 week prompt, 1 week vote. I like the reddit idea. I'm always up fro a challenge and love getting inspiration from different places or having to think and write differently. I SAY WE MOVE FORWARD WITH THE NEW IDEAS!!!!!!!!!!!! @TheMuse

6. TheMuse

TheMuse Here To Help

CONGRATULATIONS TO MISTER @QuarantineRoad

NEW CONTEST SHALL COMMENCE SOON

Cejao, QuarantineRoad and Bob Crees like this.
  7. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Cejao and QuarantineRoad like this.
  8. QuarantineRoad

QuarantineRoad Here To Help

@TheMuse, @Bob Crees: Thank you, and to everyone who voted! I enjoyed all of the entries. :):)

Cejao and Bob Crees like this.