ULWPC #19: Found

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by TheMuse, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMuse

TheMuse Here To Help

Welcome to our nineteenth UL Writing Prompt Contest!

The rules:
    1. Must be an original writing, no plagiarizing.
    2. You have 2 weeks to write your story and submit it.
    3. You may edit and change your story up until given time is up.
    4. Must incorporate the prompt in some way, shape, or form.
    5. Comply with all pre-existing forum rules.
    6. Only give constructive feedback if the author has expressed their willingness to take it.
    7. Only one story per person
    8. All stories must be submitted below
    Hall Of Fame

Round 1, Free Write: "An Adventure" by Bob Crees
    Round 2, The Life Of Our Pilgrim Fathers: "The Man Who Lived Next Door" by Fear/"The New World" by TheMuse
    Round 3, Halloween/Horror: "Of Hell And Animals" by QuarantineRoad
    Round 4, In Transit: "Crossing Over" by QuarantineRoad
    Round 5, Memoir: "Wait, We Found What?" by DeadK9Handler
    Round 6, Patient Zero: "B3113" by Panic!atSkyfall/"A Cursed Trader" by Burning Phoenix
    Round 7, Spring: "Cheater" by TheMuse
    Round 8, Ha: "Three Curses And A Wish" by QuarantineRoad
    Round 9, Tales Of Tomorrow: "The End" by TheMuse
    Round 10, Today Is The Day: "Hidden Affairs" by QuarantineRoad/"The Gardens" by Panic!atSkyfall
    Round 11, Deep Blue: "Gladly" by Panic!atSkyfall
    Round 12, Highs And Lows: "Just Once More" by LadyoftheLake
    Round 13, Lucky Or Unlucky: "Thirteen Steps" by TheMuse
    Round 14, Eye See You: "The Window" by TheMuse
    Round 15, Moonlight: "Destruction and Creation" by Panic!atSkyfall
    Round 16, Soulmates: "In Moments Alone" by TheMuse
    Round 17, Unfamiliar: "Everything" by TheMuse
    Round 18, Give Thanks: "Spirit" by QuarantineRoad

How it works:

You are given two weeks to write an original piece based on the prompt below, and once all the stories are entered and the time is up, the voting thread will open and the community will vote on their favorite piece.

The winner gets to pick the prompt for the next round.

The Prompt:

"I found a mirror in the snow,
    and a whisper."

Write something having to do with the above writing prompt, taking it any direction that you wish! Can be in whatever literary form you want, any length that can fit within one post is acceptable!

Submitted by the awesome mind of Round 18 winner QuarantineRoad!
    Stories are due: December 22nd
  2. Panic!atSkyfall

Panic!atSkyfall Here To Help

3. TheMuse

TheMuse Here To Help

4. TheMuse

TheMuse Here To Help

5. TheMuse

TheMuse Here To Help

Ooh Boi

6. QuarantineRoad

QuarantineRoad Here To Help

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    Cejao, Del44ZSlayer and Bob Crees like this.
  7. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

8. QuarantineRoad

Thank you, @Bob Crees! I'm glad you liked it. :)
    Cejao, Del44ZSlayer and Bob Crees like this.
  9. TheMuse

TheMuse Here To Help

Voting will be up in about 12 hours or so
  10. TheMuse

TheMuse Here To Help

The Edge

I found the edge.
    Of the mirror,
    Of his eyes,
    Of my own sanity.
    The edge is all-important,
    Without the edge we cannot proceed.
    Without the edge I cannot fall.

The snow was cold as I collapsed into it, feeling the soft flurries against my face, taking in the fresh air in long, satisfying breaths. The sky was dark, filled with low-hanging clouds, partially obscured by the bare branches above. I wasn't as cold as I thought I would be. In fact, I was almost warm. I smiled. My eyelids were getting heavy, and I let myself begin to fall asleep.

"Ow, babe-" He said, flinching away from me.

"Sorry, sorry, I had to get a look at the eye." I said, rinsing my hands in the sink, "It doesn't look like the eye itself is injured."

He let out a sigh of relief, though his gaze continued to drift to his reflection in the mirror.

I handed him the cold compress, "It'll be dark for a few days, but you'll be back to normal soon."

"Good, won't be much longer now." He said.

I only responded with silence.

We shared a brief look, charged with a crackling energy, volts of electricity passing from his deep blue eyes into my green ones.

I pursed my lips. He leaned in and kissed them. His hands traveled the length of my body, simultaneously soft and strong, drawing a smile despite my weariness. The kiss evolved, passionate, wild, crackling with the same energy of his eyes, the energy that he and he alone possessed, an energy that was summoned not from the body but from somewhere deeper. He had a supernatural way about him, a reckless, careless spirit, but one that changed the world wherever he went. He drew me in with his magnetism, pulling me in despite my apprehension, but whatever force he possessed paled in comparison to my willingness to comply. I left behind my control, my comfort, my safety. I gave in, not to his whims, but to his orbit, to the equality of our connection.

And so we circled each other, entwined in each other's arms, interwoven in a symmetry all our own.

The next morning it was back to the usual.

I woke up to an empty bed and the number to his new phone. He left me a list of names, locations, products, and the money involved. I read it over several times, memorized it, tossed it into the fire, along with the number. The rules were the same, when I should call or not call, when to be worried or not worried, and where to run if it all went to hell in a hand-basket.

His luck was as consistent as his skill. He taught me things I had not known, about the world, about myself. I was weak before I'd met him. Innocent. Now my strength buried my guilt.

He was rarely disadvantaged. He had a way about him, after all, and I was not the only wolf that heeded his call, only the one that followed most closely in his tracks.

So when the call didn't come at 11:00 I was unconcerned.

When my call went straight to voicemail at 11:20 I had only begun to worry.

When he didn't show up for the next two days I had already decided what I had to do.

"Hi, you must be Jack?" I said as the door opened and a handsome man opened the door. His eyes lit up when he saw me.

"That's me, please come in!" He said, opening the door. The air smelled like a scent out of a bottle, the aroma mixing itself with the familiar smell of alcohol.

As soon as we got to his bedroom I put my lips on his, the taste of his liquor bitter against my tongue. I sat him down on the bed, still kissing him, pushing him back until he was flat on his back, my body on top of his.

He rolled us over to the side, placing himself on top, wanting to feel dominant, in control. I allowed it. I held him against me, my hands running over his back, drifting down to his legs, and then towards my pocket.

My eyes opened. His were closed, concerned with me and only me. I clipped the knife to my sleeve, my hands running back up his back, gently following the curve of his muscles, working my way up towards the neck. I ran my nails gently against the side of his neck.

Then I slid the knife deeply across his throat.

I flipped him onto his back before he could even process what had happened, pressing a pillow against his face, pinning his arms down with my knees. It didn't take long for his struggles to die down, his blood soaking into his sheets. I waited a few minutes longer, still holding him down long after the breaths had ceased.

Then I ran to the bathroom and threw up.

I wiped away the water from my eyes, rinsing my mouth with whatever the hell he'd been drinking, downing the rest of it as I breathed. I'd been shielded from the unsavory. Prevented from witnessing the darker things associated with my new lifestyle.

I wasn't ready.

Not for killing.

Something in me ached deeply, but I would ache more to not finish what I had started.

I fished around in the man's pocket for the disposable phone he'd have kept on him. I sent out a few carefully constructed texts. I knew the names. I knew the lingo.

The next man showed up high. His was easier than the first. I dragged his body away with the other, before the next could show up.

The next was a skinnier man, young, but old enough to know better. I'm not even sure he saw me.

The next was a girl. A little chemical help and she went down like a sack of potatoes and never got a good look at my face. I used the the other bodies' hands and fists to stage an assault scene, and when she started to stir I blindfolded and gagged her and locked her in a room.

I staged the place to look like what I wanted it to look like. I knew these weren't the types of people that would get careful, focused attention, but I took the time to make sure things were consistent, that there was an order of events, a logical sequence to the madness.

I placed a call to the police about violence from the house, giving them the address.

I was about to leave through the back door when a fist entered my field of vision and knocked me to the floor.

I scampered backward on the floor, my world spinning. My knife was somewhere behind me.

I looked up to find a large man bearing down on me. I stumbled to my feet, only to be pushed against a wall, shattering a mirror behind me, a forearm against my throat. I didn't recognize him from the descriptions. He wasn't a part of this, or at least not a known part of this.

My vision began to close in when memory jumped to the forefront.

A familiar face, blue eyes, a spark.

I got both feet on the man's chest and kicked with all my might, sending him backward a few steps and collapsing to the floor amongst the debris of the mirror. He yelled as he ran for me again, and with what strength I had left I shoved a jagged piece of glass straight through his neck, slicing my hand along the edge as I threw him to the floor and let him bleed and gasp for air.

As the adrenaline ebbed and my senses returned I felt a twinge of pain in my side. I looked down and my eyes widened in horror.

A chunk of glass had pushed it's way into my abdomen. It was too large to just rip out, not without bleeding to death.

In the distance I could hear the sirens.

I stumbled out through the back door and into the forest.

Lying motionless in the snow, I heard a faint noise out in the woods.

My eyes opened, just a bit, curiosity overcoming the impending peace, if only for a moment.

That was, my name?

I lifted my head slightly, my eyes looking left and right.

I caught my reflection in the shard of glass still clutched in my fist.

I was pale, almost blue. My eyes were wild, filled with mania, darker than they had any right to be.

In the reflection I saw him running to me.

He picked me up, holding me in his arms, running.

He kept looking down at me with those electric eyes.

He put me in the back of a car I'd never seen before, peeling out and down a dirt road, the trees whipping past as we flew down the path.

"I love you." I whispered.

He reached back and held my hand.
  11. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

12. Del44ZSlayer

Del44ZSlayer Here To Help

Cejao, QuarantineRoad and Bob Crees like this.
  13. Del44ZSlayer

Del44ZSlayer Here To Help

You have a talent with words, excellent story, thoroughly enjoyed reading it. :)
  14. QuarantineRoad

15. TheMuse

TheMuse Here To Help

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.