What's Cooking? You Are. (Contest thread, 5/7/2013)

Discussion in 'State of Decay News' started by Undead Sanya, May 7, 2013.

1. JCass

JCass Got Your Back

Actually our National Guard runs more like the Army, and can be deployed overseas as I understand their conditions of service.

In any event I have a few MREs myself, but since I am not likely to be mobile I tend to focus on more basic stuff I have to cook.

So given that your in the National Guard on your island how hard do they train you? Also what is the extent of your AO is it just reserved to the island itself, or can you be deployed over seas?

I got some of those Desert DPM shirts the UK pushes out do you by chance know what this means? I found some sort of velcro patch on one of my shirts that had a Crown, Wings, and the letters AD on it.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  2. Fraser98

Fraser98 Starting Off

Would it be possible for you to take a photo of the Velcro Patch? I'm only asking so that I can actually see what you're on about.

I think you might be on about the Parachute Regiment, but I'm not entirely sure...

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  3. JCass

JCass Got Your Back

This is the closest thing I could find not sure where that patch went off to lol I'm not in the habbit of putting patches of foreign militaries on my gear its kinda disrepectful in my honest opinion. :)

This patch in question is a more vintage design but it has most of everything as shown but with the Letters AD in a Khaki color so perhaps it is designated for Para Troopers as you had stated.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/79832127/vintage-british-royal-air-force-raf

If I have any patches on my gear it says things like "Regular Guy", and "Just Sayin"...

By the way am I correct in my logic that your island encourages preparedness? From what you said they don't have the capacity to house everyone in the event of an incident so it would be sensible that most people do for their own.

Consequently in the US we don't really have a Civil Defense program anymore besides shelter in place, and put your hands up...kinda scary to be honest...ohh don't get me wrong they are still building bigger, and badder fallout shelters, but not for the general public....leaves one to think. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  4. Fraser98

Fraser98 Starting Off

Sorry, but why is that on this thread?!

5. What do you think him/her is? .......... Yes that is right

6. Fraser98

Fraser98 Starting Off

And he/she/it is...?

7. A piece of cheese :O

8. Fraser98

Fraser98 Starting Off

A piece of cheese?! :eek:

9. Fraser98

Fraser98 Starting Off

If it's a Piece of Cheese... then there's nothing we can do... The world is doomed... (Dum Dum Duuummmmm!!!)

10. :eek: save us all! Aggghhh

11. Fraser98

Fraser98 Starting Off

AAARRRRGHHHHHH!!!!! I HAVE THE CHEESE TOUCH!!!!
    *Becomes infected with the Cheese Touch*

12. Agghh! there's no hope!
    *Runs away screaming*

13. Fraser98

Fraser98 Starting Off

"Run towards the creepy militaristic looking people sporting gas masks and quite possibly Flame Throwers, I'm sure they'll take care of us!"
    *Gets shot in the Leg (The Walking Dead Shane Style)*

14. JCass

JCass Got Your Back

Napalm the other Jello...

Lol not sure what that was all about...I just got back from an NRA Highpower match I scored 387/700 which actually isn't all that bad I think my rifle somehow got off its zero because it was really bad that first string I scored a single hit on the 5 ring. :p

I think if the law of averages had been in effect, and had not suffered that issue with my zero I would have been at least 470/700 fyi thats a 200 yard shot on a black spot the size of a cereal bowl...could be worse. :)

These guys kept saying I need to wear some sort of specialty shooting jacket, and a bunch of other crap, but I don't think I will...I figure if the military can shoot 500 yard hits without some specialty jacket doing timed shots....at the very least put on some elbow pads, and deal with it. Last year I was on average 345/700, and with or without it there is very little difference in my affected score.

One of the guys was actually blaming the gun...its a 200 yard shot...you don't need a match grade barrel at 200 yards. :p

15. You dont even need a scope at 200 yards, unless the target is the size of a botte. lol How big was the target?

16. Fraser98

Fraser98 Starting Off

To be honest, anyone with at least some experience with a firearm should be able to hit a target from 150 yards using the Iron-sights.

17. JCass

JCass Got Your Back

Exactly! my iron sights were off Zero so I had to retune it...I was doing the whole pumpkin on a fence post method... sight alignment was correct the weapon was not canted left or right, but as I said the weapon had to be rezeroed about 15-1/2 minute clicks down, and 13-1/2 minutes left, and the Front sight post had to get tweaked some...I have one of those uppers for NRA Highpower that has a rear sight which allows you to adjust Vertical, and horizontal without having to work on the post, but afterward I saw much improvement when the post itself had been reset.

Although the guys helping me preffered to think it had more to do with the "Shooting Jacket" they let me try on...I think personal skill plays a much larger role....I don't know what they are on about. Not to mention they been shooting with those things on for 5 years of course they are going to shoot better...This is my 2nd year doing this so I doubt the jacket is the issue.

As for the target size we were using 200,300, and 600 yard targets sized for a 200 yard range. The target actually kept getting smaller, but I would guess a pumpkin would be the actual size at those respective distances because the 100 yard targets if the scale was correct the black is about the size of a pumpkin. Our targets actually kept getting smaller as we progressed from Standing offhand (no sling 1 round loaded at a time), Sitting rapid fire (Sling, 2 magazines 2 rounds,and 8 rounds), Prone rapid fire, and then prone slow fire.

NRA Highpower rules are you need eathier an M1, M14, or AR15 as issued in the Cosmetic style of its military equivalient in order for it to qualify.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  18. JCass

JCass Got Your Back

Eathier way if that sight is not properly tuned you could have the best sight picture in the world that round will not strike true if it has a poorly acquired zero for your sight.

Lol this hillbilly on our shooting team was suggesting I compensate with "Redneck Windage" to hell with that. ^_^

The one thing I really don't like about some of these NRA High Power guys is that they are in their own little world when it comes to Marksmanship... not all but some of them are only a step up from someone who might say they can't shoot without their special Lucky Shooting pants...its seriously disconcerting.

They are nice people and I know they mean well, but very opinionated I'm keeping an open mind though, but ultimately its hard to say what made the difference when I was changing several things around at once. They even had me shooting with one of those antiquated GI slings you tie on your upper shoulder that I don't think anyone in the Service has used since the Korean War.

I think this scene from the Labrynth is a classic example...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6IeD49ADPg

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  19. Fraser98

Fraser98 Starting Off

Not sure if you guys know, but They're announcing the winner(s) to this competition TODAY apparently... :)

20. Capt.C.Baker

Capt.C.Baker Here To Help

Sanya is creating the poll today. I'm not sure if the poll will be closed today though. She usually lets it go for a full day or 2. ;)