What's the most desperate thing you've done to survive (and lived)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by futurehermit, Nov 27, 2017.

1. futurehermit

futurehermit Got Your Back

So, what's the most desperate thing you've done to survive (and live to tell the tale)?

For me, a few things come to mind. One was being chased by a large mob and it was the first time I learned about climbing the ladder on the outside of a gas station. I was running desperate, sure I was going to get mobbed. Running out of stamina, no resources on hand, etc. Oh look, a ladder! I climbed up, jumped off the other side of the roof, which put me over a fence, and I managed to escape.

Another was similarly being chased by a mob that included a Jug. Low on supplies/ammo. Jumped off a cliff, not sure if the fall would kill me or not, but knew I'd die if I didn't jump. Barely lived. Managed to get away.

Another was in the midst of screamers who were chaining in more and more screamers and zombies. Two companions were down, swarmed. I was barely done for as well. Couldn't get away. Desperately, I crawled into the 1/2 ton we came in and drove it through the piles of zombies. I was amazed that it cleared enough of a hole to allow both companions to overcome their AI limitations and clamber into the vehicle. We all managed to get away, near death.

The exhilaration associated with near death escapes is pretty fun in this game. Looking forward to hearing others' stories :)

2. Morak

Morak Got Your Back

One time I was completely mobbed with screamers calling in more zombies and I was completely surrounded to the point that I could not run. Out of desperation I threw a Molotov at my feet. I was barely able to limp away after that.

3. DeadK9Handler

DeadK9Handler Here To Help

At first I thought this was about real life and was a little nervous lol!!!

I was being chased by a feral and a horde and I was almost dead. I had smashed my car to the point it was about to blow up. The feral had pulled me from the car, so I ran back to it and jumped in and drove it a few hundred yards praying it would not blow up. Made it and bailed out just as it blew up.

4. I was on my way back to my base from scavenging with a new character who wasn't that developed. Maybe level 2 cardio at most. 2 to 3 star fighter. I had another character with me as well. 1 snack, low ammo. -20 stamina. No health items. I tried to take a shortcut to save time through a field. I flipped the truck over a hillside right into a spot that was infested with zombies, screamers and a juggernaut who was also relatively close. The person following me got surrounded as we got out of the truck. I tried fighting them off but the screamers attracted more slowing us down. We both eventually got incapped. After I got up, I called in an artillery strike right on top of the survivor killing most of zombies because he was practically unsavable. I left him for dead. I barely made it out alive, finding a vehicle close by. In hindsight it was a dick move. But his traits (Jerk) (Braggart) made me think he possibly deserved it. I had never really used him so he was kind of excess baggage anyways lol.

5. futurehermit

LOL :D That makes me remember the time I was going after a cleo drop with Royell. It was in the chain link fenced-in spot south of the Wilkerson's, west of the dino gas area, and east of the trailer park. Nasty to get into and out of, especially as zeds were mobbing the only limited entrance in/out. I had climbed in on the other side and had managed to disarm the drop, but swarms and swarms of zeds were coming. Mobs of screamers, ferals streaming in, etc. I couldn't claim the drop loot, manage all the zeds, plus worry about Royell. Eventually I just said "screw it" and I dropped a couple artillery strikes on the drop site with Royell in the middle. I thought him dead and gone, as, once the dust settled, he was nowhere to be found. I gained the loot and got the heck out dodge, starting to mourn his loss. But then lo' and behold he was back at base, injured. I was like "How the...?" Tough s.o.b. lol!

6. Biker Steve

Biker Steve Got Your Back

I was just lucky that a feral was squished at the same time it pulled me out of a car the *second* time. I was able to limp back to the doorless vehicle and get to the RV. Lost the use of one of my main scavengers until I set up a base with medical facilities a day later. :mad:

7. Thats pretty awesome he actually survived it. I've noticed some instances where as soon as a survivor gets injured they just teleport home. It isn't the case all the time but it does have it's advantages for moments like those. You get the notification "time to go home" in the left hand corner and sometimes they disappear like smoke lol. That area you're talking about it has gotten me into trouble quite a few times. I miss the chaos of Cleo drops. I think it would have been better to do 1 drop per level. The drops end pretty early in breakdown.

8. FreedomFighter

FreedomFighter Here To Help

Surrounded by bazillion zeds so i throw down a petrol bomb down at my feet. Going out with blaze. Turned out i take very little damage from burning and received huge speed boost. I survived when in fact i shouldn't. Now every time i am in deep shat, i lit myself on fire.

9. futurehermit

That's part of what I like about starting fresh each breakdown level :D amongst other reasons. I just find that carrying over a bunch of top tier loot and maxed survivors would take a lot of the thrill out of the early part of a level :D

10. Byerly724

Byerly724 Here To Help

I was using one of my favorite survivors when I was jumped by two ferals, in my haste to avoid them I ducked into a shed and was able to call a scavenger to me, hoping he would help me out enough to survive.

Poor guy never stood a chance but it did allow me to kill both ferals during his heroic distraction and make it home in critical condition.

11. Zamasu

Zamasu Here To Help

My home base was under sieged by fifty zombies, I was low on health so I climbed up onto the watch tower and let Lily handle some zeds and a juggernaut by herself she killed them all, the funny thing is the juggernaut was trying so hard to rip her in half and she kept escaping obviously due to being immoral.

12. JujuLodestar

JujuLodestar Starting Off

I got jumped by 2 ferals once and had no healing items, so if one grabbed me I was done. So I threw a Molotov at my feet so I could run faster without wasting stamina. THEN sprinted over to the next town away from those horrifying monstrosities.

13. Takuro_Spirit

Takuro_Spirit Here To Help

Went to my journal and switched out to someone else at home when I was across the map, and crossed my fingers that the dude I just left low on health with no snacks or meds, surrounded by zed would somehow make it home.

And he did.

Disclaimer: It not an exploit I use very often. But it does come in handy at times. Use at your own risk.

14. futurehermit

And then it allows you to come up with a fantastical explanation for why they survived: "Oh, man, you should've seen it, they totally ___________________ and then barely made it home alive!1!!1!!"

15. mystyk

mystyk Famous

I was ditching a car into the river, on purpose, but did it at the wrong spot. When I bailed my character got stuck in a bit of scenery. No amount of jumping and rolling would get him unstuck. Plus it was during a horde event, and my hordes are huuuge O_O
    So, I did the only thing I could. Switched to another character. Yes, I abandoned Kilo on the side of a road.
    It wasn't far from Savini's (my homesite) but it still took him a good few hours to get back, lol.