Who Do You Think You Are (customization) 8/10/12

Discussion in 'State of Decay News' started by Undead Sanya, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Undead Sanya

Undead Sanya Administrator

http://undeadlabs.com/2012/08/news/who-do-you-think-you-are/

Read the article!

The thing with which I hope you came away from Phinney's article was that Class3 offers a meaningful experience where your choices shape the world far beyond some pre-game menu boxes. In a future article, we’re going to talk more about character progression, skills advancement, and other specific ways your choices will define you in the game far beyond what is normally referred to as customization.

Things like personalization (making the character look like you, starting stats/skills that are similar to your own) is stuff we're talking about for Class4, but for what I hope are obvious reasons, we're trying to keep our yaps shut on Class4 until we deliver Class3 ;)

In the meantime, we wanted to let you know where we’re coming from and where we’re going. You’re part of this process, so please, let us know what you think so far.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. [deleted by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2012
  3. Melychath

Melychath Starting Off

Please delete that ^.
    The only thing I had to read was, "You are going to die." Yes! Kill me (in game, of course)! It's always fun to read something new about the game.

4. Melychath

Melychath Starting Off

Woot! I'm a 'Defender' now!
    This article makes me think of what XCOM: Enemy Unknown is promising. Very exciting concept.

5. That was a read I thoroughly enjoyed.
    As a working stiff, I know I won't be able to play the game as often as I wanted, and I just have to accept the consequences. I'm okay with that. But it's also morbidly good to know that my character won't be having an easy time, the more I leave him/her/them alone and unplayed.

Thanks S and P. Good read.

D

6. The thing that only bothers me is that when you're not playing that the game stills continue. But that makes it very interesting. :)

7. Arc79

Arc79 Got Your Back

Damn, was hopeing for some character customization in class 3 :( Oh well, nice update on how the game works but it feels a little like collecting survivors will be like collecting spare lives... Idk if thats a good or bad thing.

8. Arc79

Arc79 Got Your Back

Wondering If I'll at the least be able to find some green hair dye in game though... :rolleyes:

9. Melychath

Melychath Starting Off

The art of gaming (I don't care what Ebert says) has evolved quite a bit since I first shot at my brother on Showdown, the Magnavox Odyssey game. I, for one, am glad to see the persistent world.

10. EPIC... The best explanation of how there won't be customization.

When I was reading: "you can switch your characters".. I was like, shit, I don't like that, I wanna play my own character.. But then You said that if they die, die forever. No Load games. Heavy Rain zombie party xD

Just Epic :p

For Class4 I thought a similar system.. when you log in the server, you choose one of the People from the town, maybe is a policeman, a teacher, medic, president.. and you play with him. xD

11. Undead Sanya

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeh, no. I don't think so. I think it's more like... like writing an epic novel. You'll be developing more than one character, people that really live with their own feelings and biases and fears.

12. One question, if you dont want to rescue anyone and be a lone wolf, and you die... what happens? game over start again?

13. Undead Sanya

Cipher, I'm not sure? But I do know one of the designers told me in an earlier feature that we are not testing or balancing the game with a lone wolf in mind, so the difficulty level may be... unreasonable ;)

14. Fleshblight

Fleshblight Banned

At first blush, I'm not sure how I feel about this concept of controlling various characters because I am destined to die "lots of times." As a rule with most RPGs that I've played, I get deeply attached to the characters that I create and then maneuver through the game world. I take them on a journey (sometimes ones lasting hundreds of hours), and love watching them adapt and evolve over time. Mind you, I don't flinch at the challenge of having to triage and make judicious choices in order to stay alive; but I'm quite put off by the notion that, despite how cautiously I play the game, my death is inevitable.

No. Upon further consideration, I don't like that idea one single bit.

But I'll reserve my final judgment until AFTER I see the game in actual, sustained motion. All my thoughts and opinions about Class 3 are moot until I can finally see it in action.

Fleshblight

Addendum -- re: the you-will-die-LOTS-of-times assurance, there may be a dreadful inference lurking here: to wit, the majority of the zombies (zeds) in Class 3 will move fast. Like I said, merely a logical inference. I don't know for sure. But my self-proclaimed "cautious optimism" just shuddered. I think somewhere a grinning, feathered creature goose-stepped over my grave.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  15. Cargot35

Cargot35 Starting Off

Ohh man, this is going to put a spin on my rogue survivor idea. Well, time to invest in some charisma points and hope the one that is known as Dantron can teach me the ways of communication with other humans.

16. A few questions on this...

Ideally most people will find a survivor to play that meets there play style. Fair enough...

What happens if you pick a survivor that meets your play style, but the survivor has a bad attitude, or a trait the other survivors don't like? Does (s)he radiate that same bad aura when you play them?

So we have no control over the creation of the character. Well...

Will we at least have plenty of gear and clothes to get to be able to customize them in that aspect? I feel that this would be a fair compromise between gamer and developer.

Last question... I feel I'm pretty self sufficient. I have a lot of well rounded knowledge to help me survive stuff like this... So in regards to my community of survivors...

Can I eventually set my community up to run on its own with little to no input from me, or do I have to babysit everyone? Will they eat if there is food and there hungry, will they defend themselves if a zombie trespasses, will they preform there job without me telling them to do so?

I can understand if some thinks can't be answered, but I'd like to get an idea of what to expect. At the very least I'd like a little light shead on these things.

17. Undead Sanya

No, the majority of zombies will be shamblers.

The you will die is just to make the point that survivors will die and they'll stay dead. The body count depends on how you play and how smart you are.

18. Deffcon_1

Deffcon_1 Starting Off

This is perfect! This is what I was hoping for! I just want to be able to jump straight in and start gaming!

19. Arc79

Arc79 Got Your Back

You don't want your own character? Come on! Every gamer has their own personality that they try to reflect, wether it be in their name, character or their style of play! Red dead redemption was a great game with great multiplayer, huge map open enviroment and you had roaming groups of players, its in the most basic sense very similiar to the plan for class 4, the one thing that I didn't like about it was the lack of character customization, I dont know if thats just me or a million other people but not being able to play as my own character was a bit annoying. I appreaciate the plans for class 3 and I cant wait for the game but individuality is pretty important for a lot of gamers... I have faith in UL and I hope they get character customization in for class 4!

20. I'm smart enough to know that I don't wanna die :p