Win10 poll

Discussion in 'For PC Players Only' started by Undead Sanya, May 19, 2016.

?
  1. No problems

41 vote(s)
    53.2%
  2. OMFG I CAN'T PLAY

23 vote(s)
    29.9%
  3. Laggy AF

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. Basically okay...once I load in

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Some other problem (I'll tell you in the comments)

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Undead Sanya

Undead Sanya Administrator

Do you play SOD on a computer with the Windows10 op system? Pick one of the options, and if you choose a problem, tell me in the comments if it's a problem all of the time, or just some of the time.

And then if you can email me (sanya at undeadlabs dot com) your DXDIAG along with your forum name, that would be peachy. Any other data you think might help would be cool - which version of the game you're trying to play, how long you've been playing, whether you ever played it on a different machine, etc.

Thanks, y'all. The problem with this problem is that it's not happening to everyone, or even most people, and trying to find out what you have in common besides Win10 is going to be key to our ability to help.

BloodyKharma, Cejao and Applesintime like this.
  2. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

I have Windows 10 and have no problems.

Cejao and Applesintime like this.
  3. Applesintime

Applesintime Famous

I have a problem!

My Lifeline crashes a lot after about 30 or 40 minutes, and it happens 100% of the time. Never happened before, but it's basically making Lifeline unplayable, because I like to loot a bit before picking up Horn, and if I reset, it resets me back to the start.

Attached Files:

Cejao likes this.
  4. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

To be honest I have not played Lifeline since I got Windows 10.

Cejao likes this.
  5. Windows 10 64bit with Nvidia latest drivers (past versions as well). TV is 1080p.
    Completely minor problem. The intro pattern when YOSE starts, before the switch to the full screen game selection menu, the image is a single thin strip of screen while the tune plays. The only reason i see it at all is the taskbar preview shows it. After the switch to full screen happens everything runs well. Looks like an invalid windows resolution is called to me.

6. Applesintime

Applesintime Famous

That happens to me as well, but I don't really care about it. As long as it doesn't make the game unplayable, I'm OK.

7. It doesnt bother me either, but a bugs a bug. I may have had to delete the old config files when i initally did the windows 10 upgrade. But other than that its been solid.

Now if someone would tweak the LOD distance algorithm for more shadow detail past 15 feet I'd be happy as a clam, as the young'uns say.

Bob Crees likes this.
  8. Alan Gunderson

Alan Gunderson Here To Help

updated to win10 and it didn't launch at all, I wasn't mad though because I downgraded back to 8 in the same day.

DeadK9Handler likes this.
  9. The game should probably be reinstalled afte

10. Basically between windows upgrades the registry changes slightly and device APIs get major changes (especially WDDM) every single non microsoft program is going to be better off reinstalled. Or at very least going through the Steam verification.

A ton of these kind of issues would be resolved if Steam would detect major windows changes and automatically do that for every game. Maybe just go through and redo registry entries, i dont know. It would take a bit sure, but whats a few minutes after windows just basically installed.

Cejao and Undead Nicole like this.
  11. My vote was "Laggy AF". Win10 x64 playing the base game in YOSE. From the very first moment I could control the game, the game stutters when I move the camera around.

Also, a strange thing happens when I load the game: The intro videos don't appear on my screen - well, I can hear them, and I can see the very right edge of the video on the left side of my monitor. It's like they got shoved off of the left side of my monitor. After they play, the game opens to the title screen like normal. Would these two issues (this and the stuttering) be related at all?

UPDATE 6/2: I started to notice that I was stuttering in other games as well. After hours of research I learned of some more options available to me, one of which seems to be working so far! The change I made was to offload Phys-X entirely onto my CPU instead of having it be put on one of the graphics cards.

The issue of the game's opening logos being shoved off the left side of my screen is still there, and it doesn't appear to be an issue in any other games so far - but it also doesn't seem to hurt anything here. Once they're done, the game loads the title screen normally filling my screen.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    Bob Crees likes this.
  12. Well id say from those symptoms and by offloading physics to your cpu, your video card is over heating. Are you using one of the gaming laptops like the Lenovos or Asus?

13. Yeah, It's an Aorus x7. It seems to not like to kick the fans on very much by itself, I always have to open the command center and set it to manual. I'll try putting Phys-X back on a GPU and see how it works with my fans set to a good manual setting.

UPDATE: I did notice some stuttering again. Not as bad as it was, but maybe the area I was in wasn't as graphically intense as the first area. I noticed a slight bit of stuttering in another game as well, so perhaps the heat issue is correct and I mistook it for Phys-X placement because both changes happened simultaneously.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  14. Joe Grism

Joe Grism Got Your Back

I only play SoD on pc.

15. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

Hey guys, we need your dxdiags please so we can determine what the problem is. :)

16. Playing on the PC (laptop). Have played the game previously on Windows 8.1 a couple of months back (about 8 or so) and had no problems whatsoever. Did upgrade to Win10 and then game crashed at first, then it would not start and finally got that weird bug when it freezes after intro logos` and you`ll have to pull up task manager to force the in-game engine to render and the menu just appears with mirky scribbled words. If you somehow manage to get in game, just a couple of pixels render on screen resembling the shape and form of how the menu text appeared, but the game is still working in the backround. You can interact with the environment and sounds display properly, everything is happening, you are just not able to see it.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling and verifying game files and forcing fullscreen and windowed mode and the works through .cfg but to no avail and every other tip, tutorial, fix and advice from everyone that reported the problem. Nothing. Finally I gave up. Changed HDD recently because Win10 (restarted to install updates automatically while I was running a game, HDD couldn`t handle it and just blue screened the fuck out of there) so I reinstalled everything on Win10 again, ran through all the updates and everything seems to be stable (for) now.

Long story short, saw SOD 2 announcement @ E3 and I remembered I did not get to finish the first one or the DLCS so went ahead to install the game and : surprise, surprise! the same exact thing as before. Saw that it installed my old profile save as well so thought maybe the issue could be linked somehow ? Moved the save from the folder so only default profile was present, but still nothing changed. I`m thinking : either steam saved a faulty setting or something and it`s still somewhere in the .cfg files for the game or maybe it has something to do with Win10 ? I really don`t know, but tried even running compatibility mode and by doing that the game won`t start at all.

So that`s my story. Posted this in another thread, but since I was asked to post my issue here as well, ta da!

PS: I`m attaching my dxdiag as well for reference on the issue.

PPS: Really hope something can be done in regards to fixing this issue and there is someone smart enough to figure this thing out.

Attached Files:

17. I canĀ“t play SOD The grafic is all Blur.

Attached Files:

18. Updade : after going through all the rants on the steam review section of the game, I actually found that the resolution isn`t supported in Win10 anymore. So forget about moving the sliders in the menu. Game is just not supported anymore because the good folks @undead labs figured out that charging for patching a game is more convenient that actually doing it and keeping it up to date graphically and clear of game breaking bugs (like with most games), thus YOSE is born (and exclusively supported).
    Ok, so fast forward to fixing the issue : forcing through a .cfg file your desired resolution, even AA can be forced that way (which the game is clearly lacking, being a console port and all). So create a .txt file that you will have to rename user.cfg (and make sure you actually change the format of that file to a .cfg and not just name it such) and place these simple commands there (resolution scale depends on your own monitor resolution, for me is) :
    r_Fullscreen=1
    r_Width=1920
    r_Height=1080
    The file must be placed in the "Game" folder where the game was installed so : Steam/steamapps/common/State of Decay/Game. Now you`re good to go! Game engine will render scenes and text properly. But remember not to touch the resolution sliders as it will result in a crashdump.

Now, for AA, this is what you will have to do if you have an Nvidia card :

SGSSAA
    1. Open State of Decay driver profile via NVIDIA Inspector.
    2. Change Antialiasing compatibility to 0x000012C1[4]
    3. Change Antialiasing - Mode to Override any application setting
    4. Change Antialiasing - Setting to 4x [4x Multisampling] or 8xQ [8x Multisampling]
    5. Change Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling to 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling or 8x Sparse Grid Supersampling
    6. Apply changes.

This method is very performance demanding and may decrease your general performance.

FXAA

SMAA
    I will leave my source for all the information I`ve posted, but you can find more there, so check it out : http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/State_of_Decay.

I end this post with saying I am really dissapointed in the way the issue has been handled, leaving it to the gamers to basically "hack" the game to make it playable because devs are just in it for the money. I know there are costs involved, but seriously ?! SOD no longer supported. YOSE which is riddled with bugs and not that big of an improvement and still almost $30 ?! SOD 2 looking and feeling just the same as SOD but now with coop ?! I`m sorry, but no. I will strongly recommend to anyone I know to avoid any of your work until you get your s**t straight. This is just unacceptable and I really feel let down.

19. Undead Sanya

Undead Sanya Administrator

I keep backspacing because I don't know how to express the varied thoughts competing to be first. So if this is a mess, forgive me.

I think first what I want to say is thank you. Your post is amazing, detailed, with lots of technical information and will no doubt help many others.

My second thought is that I am very sorry that the experience made you angry and frustrated and that I couldn't do better for you. I apologize.

Third is that while I don't blame you for being frustrated, I do wish you had known the limits of being the developer before posting. We don't have customer service, tech support, or any of that stuff. We have two community people, our QA team which is also two people, and other players putting our heads together to solve the problems or at least hack a solution that helps. You're mad about stuff we don't have any control over. Because you are my player (everyone who buys one of our games and enables us to do what we love is MY player, regardless of how much power I've got), I want you to be happy, but it sounds like what you want is ongoing patches to the original game...and it's not that we wouldn't want to (any dev would), it's that we CAN'T. That's not a decision we're empowered to make.

Fourth is thank you again for posting such detail. The biggest problem we face in terms of Windows10 issues is that not everyone has a problem. None of the testing rigs had a problem, none of the testing done on the publisher's end had a problem, and I am now in possession of a total of five DXDIAGs from people who do have a problem - not exactly critical mass. I sincerely believe there is some kind of problem with Win10 and YOSE, but until I've got that critical mass, I'm never going to know what the affected players have in common. Until we can ID the exact cause, I can't advocate for a fix, let alone get resources allocated to solving it. Your post is a very important step in the right direction, and I hope others with your problem also pitch in.